Healthcare Policy and Research: Can We Speak the Same Language?
Health Policy Symposium
8:30 a.m. – 2 p.m. (with optional informal session 2 – 4 p.m.)
University of Michigan North Campus Research Complex (NCRC)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
How can researchers, policy-makers, and practice leaders work together more effectively to effect real world change? This one-day symposium brought together prominent state and national policy-makers, health services researchers, and funders to explore and share ideas for bridging the gap between healthcare research and healthcare policy.
The symposium included panel discussions from the policy, funder, and research perspectives; a closing keynote address by Karen Davis of The Commonweath Fund; and a facilitated dialog over lunch.
This event was co-sponsored by the Institute for Healthcare Policy & Innovation at the University of Michigan and the Ann Arbor VA Center for Clinical Management Research.
- David R. Gifford, MD, MPH, senior vice president, Quality and Regulatory Affairs, American Health Care Association/National Center for Assisted Living
- Fran Parker, executive director, UAW Retiree Medical Benefits Trust
- Tom Simmer, MD, senior vice president and chief medical officer, Health Care Value, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
- Gretchen Whitmer, senate minority leader, Michigan State Senate
Moderator: Marianne Udow-Phillips, MHSA, director, Center for Healthcare Research & Transformation
- David Atkins, MD, MPH, director, Quality Enhancement Research Initiative (QUERI) Program, Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
- Karen Davis, PhD, president, The Commonwealth Fund (keynote speaker)
- David D. Fukuzawa, MDiv, MSA, program director, Health, The Kresge Foundation
Moderator: Eve A. Kerr, MD, MPH, professor, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan; director, Center for Clinical Management Research, a VA Health Services Research & Development Center of Excellence, VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System;and research director of the VA Quality Enhancement Research Initiative for Diabetes Mellitus
Research Reactor Panel
- Fred C. Blow, PhD, professor and director, Mental Health Services Outcomes & Translation Section, Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan; director, National Serious Mental Illness Treatment Research & Evaluation Center, Dept. of Veterans Affairs
- Darrell “Skip” Campbell, MD, Henry King Ransom Professor of Surgery, chief medical officer, University of Michigan Health System; program director, Michigan Surgical Quality Collaborative
- Mark Fendrick, MD, professor, departments of Internal Medicine and Health Management and Policy, University of Michigan; co-director, University of Michigan Center for Value-Based Insurance Design
- Gary L. Freed, MD, MPH, professor, Department of Health Management and Policy, University of Michigan; director, Division of General Pediatrics; director, Child Health Evaluation and Research (CHEAR) Unit
- John Piette, PhD, MSc, professor, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan; director, University of Michigan Center for Quality Improvement for Complex Chronic Conditions; and senior research career scientist, Center for Clinical Management Research, a VA Health Services Research & Development Center of Excellence, VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System
Moderator: David Share, MD, MPH, vice president, Value Partnerships, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
- Health service researchers
- Policy and practice leaders: payers, providers, purchasers, funders, and community groups
- State and federal legislative and administrative policy makers