“If there were more health policy fellowships or opportunities like this, I think we might live in a very different world. I’m just very grateful to have had the opportunity to meet everyone, exchange ideas, and debate timely public policy issues.”
Health Policy Fellowship
The CHRT Health Policy Fellowship at the University of Michigan brings together policymakers, researchers, and nonprofit fellows to learn about health policy and the research process — and the intersection between the two — from subject-matter experts and from each other.
Over the four-month fellowship period, interactive sessions take place in Ann Arbor, Detroit, and Lansing, as well as a three-day trip to Washington, DC (circumstances allowing). Orientation briefings focus on the legislative process, Michigan state government structure, the research process, and challenges in building sustainability for nonprofit organizations.
Many former fellows now serve in key legislative positions in Michigan and Washington, DC, influencing state and federal policy. Since 2012, nearly 100 health professionals and health service researchers have graduated from the CHRT Health Policy Fellowship program and their fellowship projects have included:
- Collaborating with the Michigan Council for Maternal and Child Health to work toward updating child passenger safety legislation in Michigan.
- Partnering with CHRT, the Michigan Health and Hospital Association, and the State of Michigan to begin to organize a statewide work group for sepsis care coordination.
- Partnering with the Michigan League for Public Policy to help expand the Healthy Kids Dental Program in all 83 Michigan counties.
- Developing, in conjunction with the American Heart Association, a statewide, regional approach to better respond to medical emergencies in a timely manner.
- Building connections with policymakers across the aisle to introduce legislation that expands the scope of practice for nurse practitioners.
For more information and to apply for the upcoming class, contact Ryan Bartholomew at firstname.lastname@example.org